I'm not one for reality TV, but I decided to DVR episodes of Last Comic Standing the past few weeks. So far there have been some ridiculous attempts to qualify for the top 10, but they are finally down to the finalists and these people have come up with some ridiculously funny material. Its great to not only hear the punchlines, but also watch the delivery that these people give for the best comedic affect.
The more I watch this show the more I think about myself and what sort of material I could come up with for a stand up routine. This leads to further questions about the subject of comedy. I believe there are 3 essential elements to getting the best laugh. There is, of course, the material that a comic comes up with. Secondly, it is the tone of voice which is used to deliver this material. Thirdly, body language/facial expressions play such a huge role in bringing out humor.
When I think about myself creating any form of successful comedy routine, I may be able to come up with good material in a few weeks, but I'm not so sure how good I would be with numbers two and three. I think this is where the masters of comedy really nail it when performing stand up. There are a few people with real potential in this competition, and I'm looking forward to seeing how everything turns out.

The more I watch this show the more I think about myself and what sort of material I could come up with for a stand up routine. This leads to further questions about the subject of comedy. I believe there are 3 essential elements to getting the best laugh. There is, of course, the material that a comic comes up with. Secondly, it is the tone of voice which is used to deliver this material. Thirdly, body language/facial expressions play such a huge role in bringing out humor.
When I think about myself creating any form of successful comedy routine, I may be able to come up with good material in a few weeks, but I'm not so sure how good I would be with numbers two and three. I think this is where the masters of comedy really nail it when performing stand up. There are a few people with real potential in this competition, and I'm looking forward to seeing how everything turns out.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Let me know your thoughts here!