Monday, October 9, 2006

Jericho Project

I will refrain from venting about how today did NOT end up like I had planned all weekend. I could start talking about how 4 of my friends backed out of a trip to the Cape that I was planning within 12 hours of when we were supposed to leave.... but they are my friends so I can't say anything bad about them. Instead of focusing on the negative, I'll talk about the positive! Alright I'll give it a shot....

Last sunday, Olly approached me and Dave after church. He suprised both of us by saying "I was praying this week and I really think that God wants me to put you two in charge of managing the Jericho project until it gets finished." I almost fell back in my chair.

A quick background on the Jericho project: The church wants to take the old parsonage house and property next door to the church and turn it into a function hall and full kitchen. So apparently Olly thought that Dave and I should manage the complete renovation of the house and installation of a permanent cement pad for the tent we use. Now when he said this, I dont see how he thinks that I would have any qualifications to be a "project manager."

I said "sure" that I would be willing to help out, but I didnt think too much of it after that. This past Sunday in church, my pastor Paul Jehle called people out of their seats to sing down near the altar. We were in the middle of singing/praying, so I had my eyes closed kinda towards the very back of the group of people. All of a sudden i hear the Pastor say "Now I want Dave Sivertsen and Joe Doherty to come up to the front..."

I almost pooped my pants. I had to ask my brother - "did he really just say my name??"

So I went forward with Dave and Mr. Jehle proceeded to tell the whole church that "God is rising up young men of our church to lead in the Jericho project". I was still so shocked that this was happening. Everyone prayed over us and I guess we were commissioned to do the Lord's work.... I'm still not sure what happened.

Now I have officially been given the role of project manager. Its somewhat scary, but the more I think about it, the more excited I get to have this role in my church. I have always thought that there was no real need for my talents at the church because everything seems to be "taken." Now I have this huge opportunity in front of me to help out my church in a practical way (and have fun doing it).

So if any of you people ever really read this stupid blog thing, I'd appreciate your prayers for this new phase of my life. I hope to grow a lot through the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know your thoughts here!